Tuesday, October 18, 2011

I Grow Old (#24)

I do grow old…and the mermaids are singing each to each and not to me.  I did have a peach today:  delicious.

Yesterday, Monday, October 17, I was scheduled for both a CTscan (lungs) and MRI (brain).  I suspect the MRI found nothing but oatmeal.  I woke up this morning, prepared to visit huge machines that I would be slid into on narrow beds, and noticed, when I opened the daily paper that it was already October 18. 

I would like to say I “hopped” into the MX-5 (sounds so much better than Miata, doesn’t it?) and raced to the South Texas Radiology Clinic [STRIC], but honesty compels me to say I slid into the driver’s side seat and, in spite of cool weather this morning, flung the top back. Prepared for almost anything, I went first to Jim’s on Blanco and Loop 1604 for a hearty breakfast of eggs and whatever came with them.  I spotted #50, David Robinson, the Admiral, a couple of tables over and managed to resist pointing at him and going ga-ga-ga-ga.  I’m sure he would have been appreciative had he known. 

The news is that we may not have a basketball season until after Christmas.  I think the owners are shooting themselves in the feet.  This is not like the auto industry where unions take pay cuts because the industry is in trouble; this is a case where the owners have gotten more and more greedy and want to change the CBA downwards.

Afterwards, I drove over to the START Center and confessed to my time reversals and basic guilt.  They rescheduled me at STRIC and I drove a mile down to Hardy Oak to get zapped once more.  The CTscans don’t bother me and the MRI is a bit better since they opened it up a little.  But you still get those machine gun sounds.  Years ago, when I had my first MI, I discovered that I have claustrophobia and was shaky for almost a full week afterwards.

I woke up, also, to the news that the UT Health Science Center at San Antonio’s Medical School had been placed on probation by its accrediting agency for improper supervision of faculty and students.  That has nothing to do with me nut thought some people might want to know.

I’m going away for a week and then will come back to San Antonio to find out whether the cancer has continued retreating or has stormed back.  I suspect things have improved.  I’ll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment